printable recipe here
- 16 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
- 14 oz. package of savoiardi bisciuts
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup liquor (I used bourbon, but dark rum would be great too
- 2 cups espresso coffee
- 1/2 cup more of liquor
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- Separate the eggs and cook the yellows with the sugar, over a double boiler, beating until ivory colored.
- Add the 1/4 cup liquor and whisk over simmering water until the mixture begins to thicken. Cool.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff.
- Add the mascarpone to the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Mix the coffee and the 3/4 liquor and dip the biscuits into it, quickly coating both sides.
- In a large serving dish, place a layer of the biscuits, a layer of the mascarpone mixture and then repeat, ending with a layer of the mascarpone mixture. Finish with a sprinkling of unsweetened cocoa and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. (Note, I have been making it for years starting with the mascarpone mixture on the bottom and ending with the biscuit layer on top, but I think I now like it better if you start with the biscuit layer on the bottom and end up with the mascarpone mixture on top. It’s up to you. Either way, it’s delicious.)