Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? And particularly one that elevates the pedestrian sandwich to sublime, oozing with cheeses, herbs, bacon and tomato. If that’s not enough to convince you, just wait till you crunch into the coating of parmesan cheese and “everything-bagel” seeds after crisping the sandwich in butter. After I saw this posted on Half Baked Harvest‘s Instagram page, I knew it was in my future. Bacon is not a staple in my house, but I bought it to make this sandwich, and have to confess, I’ve been enjoying bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s an indulgence to be sure, but even if you make it only once a year, this sandwich is worth the calories.
I cooked the bacon a day ahead, to make things go more quickly when I prepared the sandwiches the next day. When you’re ready to get the sandwiches started, slice the tomatoes and salt them first, then let them rest on paper towels to drain off some of the water, so your sandwich doesn’t get soggy. Mix the cheeses with the herbs. I used a combination of sharp white cheddar and Havarti with dill.
Don’t add any salt to the cheese, since the “everything bagel” seasoning (bought at Trader Joe’s but you can make your own with the recipe below) is salty enough. Spread the butter on the outside bread slices, then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese (which also is plenty salty) and the “everything bagel” seeds.
Assemble the interior of the sandwich, placing the cheese, tomatoes and bacon inside,
Top with the second slice of bread and sauté in butter.
Flip the sandwiches over and cook until nicely browned on both sides. Use a little more butter or olive oil if needed. (This is definitely NOT a low calorie meal).
Then get some napkins ready to keep your hands clean, and enjoy one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches you’ll ever eat.
To really complete the meal, make yourself some tomato soup, the traditional accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwiches. And don’t forget to take a photo before you eat, as the bowl says.Click here to connect with me on Instagram and find out what Ciao Chow Linda is up to in the kitchen (and other places too) each day.
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Havarti cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons everything bagel spice (recipe below)
- 2-4 slices cooked crispy bacon
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or olive oil to cook the sandwiches
- Arrange the tomatoes on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Let sit 15 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- In a bowl, combine the cheddar, Havarti, basil, thyme, and chives.
- Brush the outside of each slice of bread with butter.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and everything spice over both buttered sides of the bread, pressing the spice mix gently into the bread to adhere.
- On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer half of the cheese mix, the tomatoes, bacon, and the remaining cheese. Add the top piece of bread.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons butter or olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Everything Spice: In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons toasted white or black sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, 2 teaspoons dried onion., 2 teaspoons dried garlic, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Keep stored in a cool, dry place.